Friday 17 July 2009

Funemployment

Friday 17 July 2009
I read the term "funemployment" in the paper awhile ago, and though I am looking for a job (really, I swear!) I am enjoying my time off as well. Here's what I've done the past few days:

1.) Went to Brighton Beach on a Wednesday morning. I love staring at waves but don't like being surrounded by crazy amounts of people. This problem is solved when you go to the beach early, on a day when normal people are working.
2.) Did laundry. I told you I couldn't promise vicarious excitement!! But who doesn't like having clean clothes? AND I lost a sock and then went back to the laundromat and found it wedged in the lint trap. So that was kinda nice.
3.) Went to the free NY Philharmonic concert in Prospect Park. Ok, this was one of my favorite things about the city so far. Sitting on a blanket and listening to Beethoven's 7th on a balmy summer evening--not much better than that! Also, there were fireworks. Also, we had excellent people-watching opportunities from the blanket in front of us, as they had a FEAST spread out: smoked haddock (or some other whitish fish), nectarines and blueberries, shishi cheese, organic Chilean lime chips (I mean, really), rose wine, Perrier, etc. etc. They also asked me if I had any salt, while I was eating a Saltine and drinking a Heineken Light. I unfortunately did not.
4.) While at the concert, I noticed there was a group of knitters in front of us, and since I'm almost out of yarn, I sketchily went over and asked where they bought yarn and we talked for awhile. As I was leaving, the lone male yelled, "hey! do you want to join a knitting circle? We're meeting tomorrow at a bar in Park Slope." Which leads me to...
5.) Went to a knitting circle at a bar. It was pretty hilarious. I'm pretty sure some of the knitters had not been to a bar in, say, 40 years, but I met some younger, nice people. They normally meet in a bakery, which I'm also pretty down with.
6.) Went to the Met. For the second time in two weeks. Two months ago I would have been delirious about the opportunity to see Caravaggios et al on a regular basis, and now it just still seems routine. Still awesome though. There was a really interesting special exhibit which had artifacts from the National Museum of Kabul. I liked learning more about Afghani history (since I know frighteningly little about it..) and seeing the combination of Chinese and Greco-Roman influences in the art was cool too. Sorry--nerd alert.

In other news, it was 90% humidity today, and I am feeling draggy in only the way that extreme mugginess makes you feel. Peace out for now.

2 comments:

Marth said...

"Funemployment"? Oh, be still my heart, for a moment there, I thought that meant a JOB in the entertainment industry. Glad you're still having a good time!!

Anna Wager said...

Moms, you of all people should know that "funemployment" for me would be working at a combination cupcake and book store, where I could alternately read and dye frosting. :)

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.