Tuesday 21 July 2009

Barack the Vote!

Tuesday 21 July 2009
President Obama is a Big Deal in my neighborhood.* I've seen his picture (and Michelle and Sasha and Malia) on the buttons that the workers at the Public Library wear on their vests, on hair salons and grocery store windows (often with Spanish captions), and even plastered on a few churches. My cousin told me that on election day people starting lining up outside her polling place at 5 am.

However, I didn't see murals until I went to the East Village:

And they do make me smile. I know President Obama has a lot to prove, and a lot of unpopular decisions ahead of him, but the fact that he means something to many, many people is also a Big Deal to me too.

*and did you see him throw the first pitch at the All-Star Game? The man is hilarious.

ADDITION: today (7/21) while at the Staten Island/Jammers game, two Dominican girls behind me were arguing, and one said, "yeah, well, Barack Obama is my uncle!" and the other said, "Barack Obama is my brother!" Interesting.

1 comments:

Marth said...

I just heard about Melis' connection to President Obama. Pretty cool to have only 2 degrees of separation from the President of the USA.

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.