Monday 8 March 2010

Overheard in NYC

Monday 8 March 2010
First of all, and most importantly, Happy International Women's Day! Although, why it's just one day is a bit depressing if you think about it too much... However, phenomenal women, go be fabulous, all of you. Because you are! (I took this picture in Manhattan forever ago.)Secondly, my sister is visiting, it's sunny, and once she quits lollygagging (or rather, sleeping!) we're going to get bagels and walk around Greenwich Village and check out Bob Dylan's hotspots. Should be good times. Last night we make belated-Valentines Day cookies and watched part of the Oscars. Turns out wine bottles don't make as good rolling pins as you think they might--or I may just be inept.

Thirdly and finally, the title of this blog refers to a wonderful exchange we eavesdropped on yesterday in Union Square, where we met our cousin after her yoga class for Vietnamese noodles. Walking next to us was a man with a beard and his small daughter/granddaughter/niece (I can never guess kid's ages, she was probably around 7 years old.)
Man: So my grandfather lived around here, and he used to hire a lot of men to do construction work for his company. One man was a really good construction worker, but then he started to go blind.
Girl: What happened then?? Look, that lady has a yoga mat JUST like yours!
Man: Yes, she does! Well, my grandfather still wanted to hire him even though he was blind. This man was good at working with wood and steel, but what he was really good at was stonework.
Girl: If I was him, I would have picked wood, because I think steel and stones can be *dangerous*. Do you think they're dangerous?
Man: I think they can sometimes be dangerous, yeah. But do you know why he could still do stonework when he was blind? Because he could feel the way the stones felt.
Girl: [thinking it out]...and, stones are all different, right! So you could use your hands and not your eyes to see them.
Man: Exactly. And my grandfather commissioned him to build a great BIG fireplace in his house...

And then they turned and I couldn't hear them anymore.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.