Friday 19 March 2010

Cake Monster, and other Friday Tales

Friday 19 March 2010
I had some SOLID people watching/random interactions today. Here is a sampling:

First Tale
I went to apply for a job at Brooklyn College this morning, and sort of snuck in--you're supposed to flash a school ID, and I was going to explain that I didn't have one and they just waved me through. It's a very pretty campus, design-wise, although the building interiors are 1970's puce green. And the HR department is very much not helpful, but it still gave me a chance to read my book, on a bench, next to a reflecting pool, in the sun. A good way to spend a morning.

When I left, I stopped at Lord's Bakery. I realized that I have not mentioned Lord's Bakery on this august blog, but let me just say: YUM. My cousin stops there on her way to school and I have been there a few times, but it's been awhile. When I went in today, my eye strayed immediately to the Red Velvet cake, which I've never had the guts to buy. The women wearing hospital scrubs in front of me was buying a piece, so I asked her if it was as good as it looks (note: it looks good.) Her response? "Oh. My. God. I keep telling myself that it's not good for weight loss but I'm just getting off of work and I figure on special occasions...erm, I guess it's not really a special occasion. But it is Friday!" Endorsement enough for me.

And if any of you like Red Velvet cake I would be more than happy to mail you a piece. I scarfed half of it while on the subway, feeling like one of those people who drink beer out of paper bags on the subway...shiftily forking cake out of styrofoam container. No matter. I ate the rest as a late afternoon snack.

Second Tale
After I got off the subway, post-cake binge, I was waiting for the shuttle and a guy started chatting to me. (Probably it was my sultry green Converse and green scarf combo that did it.) Here is how it went:
Guy: You know, I'm really tired. I'm just coming off the night shift at my job.
Me: Ah.
Guy: And it was worse than usual...because Mike Tyson showed up...and he bit off my ear. And then I fell down the stairs.
Me: Wow, that does sound like a bad time. I hope you can relax now. Oop, here's my shuttle, bye!
Guy: [yelling, as I get on the train] I was just kidding about Mike Tyson.

Third Tale
Later on in the day, I went to Prospect Park and people were out in full force--bikini wearing people AND overcoat wearing people. I set up my chair to bask and was next to a group of 7 year old boys who were having a grand time. They were running and sliding in the mud and then the one closest to me bellowed, "I found it!! I found the treasure!!!" And held out a handful of...worms. His friends were duly impressed, before then deciding that they were inhabiting Mars and found "Mars rocks" (dirt clods, which they then threw at each other) and shooting each other with "laser guns" (sticks) and generally just being funny. The tree next to me turned into a spaceship, and away they went.

I think "play date" might be the most annoying concept ever, and it grips the Park Slope yuppies, so it was nice to see these kids being silly and happy and just playing for once. Furthermore, I had blackened catfish for dinner, it is still warm out, and I have company coming this weekend. Not to mention the cake!

3 comments:

Liz said...

that sounds almost as good as salmon rubbed struesel chunks. bahahahaha. that does sound like a good day, though.

Marth said...

Love the random conversations you have in a big city - mine all tend toward the "have a nice day" variety at the checkout line at Wegman's. Keep writing, it's entertaining!

Annalise said...

this post was hilarious! be honest: how sketch was the guy before the shuttle? I empathize with you as I apparently have that certain special quality about me that draws all sorts of weirdos.

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.