Thursday 21 January 2010

These Boots are Made for Walking

Thursday 21 January 2010
I owned a functional pedometer for a day and a half.

Well, it had a good run. I got it on Monday and broke it today (actually it fell off my pants and the battery fell out and went..somewhere). I don't really need one, I suppose, but it would have had an impressive step total today. I attempted to get a cheapie ticket to the opera, but erred in that it was Carmen (popular) and apparently a really, really good production. So I didn't budget enough time and when I got to Lincoln Center, still 3 hours early, there was a massive line, and there was no way I would get a ticket. As I had already taken the afternoon off, I decided to go to the Guggenheim but rather than pay another $2.25 for a subway, I decided to walk.

Here are the problems with this: Lincoln Center is around 62nd St, on the West side of Central Park. The Guggenheim Museum is on the East side of Central Park, at 89th St (note: my sister had to look up the address for me, as I knew it was north of the Metropolitan Museum, which is on 82nd St, but that was all the info I had. And I don't have an internet-phone.) It actually didn't take me as long as I thought it would, and it was a sunny and crisp day, so I had a very good walk through Central Park. There was some good people watching, too. And I really like the area right around 75th street where there are a series of ponds and streams. Anyway, when I got to the Guggenheim, it was closed, which I know, because I have tried three times to go there on Thursdays, and it is ALWAYS closed. I apparently just had no idea what today was...I also witnessed a woman trying to get into the museum, by banging on the door, even though there are huge signs that say it's not open. So that was pretty funny to me.

I walked back to the Met, wandered around the American wing for half an hour, and then walked BACK to the 86nd St subway stop, and home. If you're keeping track, that is about 30 blocks of walking. I'm currently slumped in the VERY comfy chair in the living room, rocking my pajamas. We're going to attempt the opera soon, but for now--I'm just resting my feet.

1 comments:

aunt sue said...

I walk two miles and it is 4281 steps.says my new Ipod.

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.