Wednesday 27 January 2010

Snippiness, and the Antidotes for It

Wednesday 27 January 2010
I haven't written much lately for the sheer fact that my camera is being a bit dodgy, it is kind of cold, and I haven't been doing much. And, well, I've been feeling a little snippy. Here's why:
--unemployed, peppering independent bookstores with resumes, will probably have to resort to corporate succubus bookstore, *if* I can get hired there.
--going blind from looking at slides of papyri at the museum for 8 hours a day.
--starting of spring semester, and I miss school, my friends, Thursday wine/coffee/tv nights, and the general silliness that ensued. Yes, I was up until 3 am every Sunday night my final semester, and yes, I do sleep a lot more now, but everytime I pass the rowhouses in my neighborhood I think of S Main St, Geneva, and wish I was there instead.
--feeling in limbo, re. future, grad school, jobs, and feeling unable to help solve major problems in world, and in the city. I am spinning my wheels, and that gets old. Quick.
--impending grad school interview next weekend, must buy dress skirt, read a few faculty authored books, stop biting my nails, and relearn major amounts of art history and German verbs. Have so far done none of that.

However, there are plenty of antidotes to snippiness:
--today was sunny and although I was on a fruitless mission to buy a business skirt and find a job (see above) I had a nice amble through downtown Bk.
--I went to Greenpoint, which is in north Bk (on an indy bookstore quest.) It's a heavily Polish neighborhood, so it's a much different feel than here. It was a nice mini-adventure.
--I also got a bubble tea and sat for a bit and flipped through the NY Post, which features stories of people whose lives made me feel good about myself (the Kardashians!? Remind me WHY these people are famous.)
--PBS's new adaption of Emma is really good.
--We are currently watching White Collar, which is the best bad show on tv. And shortly the state of the union will be on, and we will probably watch it on mute and eat ice cream.
--Continuing the tv theme--the Winter Olympics will be on (comparatively) soon too. I love the Olympics!
--my friends and family are amazing at sending mail. AMAZING. It truly makes my week.
--I do still love the Brooklyn Museum, and especially love it when it's closed to the public and I can be in the galleries by myself. Not much better than drinking a cup of green tea in the half-light of early evening and looking at a row of Monets.
--I am attempting to cook more (I'm going to make bread soon! Zut alors!) and I made salsa this weekend which was waaay easier than I thought it would be.

So really, all is well. I do have some back posts (with pictures!) to get out into cyberspace, and will do some art reviews soon too. Truly. Just bear with me through my mini pity party.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chin up, girlie! You, like myself, are in transition. Eventually we'll look back on this limbo time in our lives and wish we had it back. Or laugh. Or both. At the same time.

And you are going to be brilliant in your interview-I just know it!

Love,
Bananalise

Marth said...

"Every pity has a party, that's why we invited you.."
Oh, wait, that's the wrong song!
I can tell you already feel better, that's my girl!
Looking forward to more posts.

Anna Wager said...

Ans--I get to spend Valentines day with you and that makes transitions (and interviews!!) ok. And fun!! :)
Mom--"let's have a pity party! 1-2-3 awwwww."

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.