Wednesday 28 April 2010

Lilacs

Wednesday 28 April 2010

The lilacs are early this year. This is not something I would normally notice, but for the past few years the smell of lilacs have always been accompanied with finals. The building where I spent much time while at college has a lovely lilac collection, with many different hues of purple. One particularly bad finals period (I think it was my junior year) I turned in my last paper and skipped out of the building (I don't normally skip) and threw myself into the lilac grove and lay there on the ground and inhaled the scent.

Lilacs may be my favorite flower because of how good they smell. The purple doesn't hurt, either. Fortunately for me, the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens have a sizable lilac grove, which is where I took these pictures. What totally surprised me was how people react when they see (or smell) them. Hardened New York types, whom I would assume would have no real interest in plant-life, barrel over and bury their faces in the bushes. I saw an older woman, bending over them, murmuring, "heavenly, heavenly, heavenly." People don't take as many pictures of the lilacs, but they certainly are interested in them. It's nice to see this type of love and devotion for flowers.

To me, lilacs mean school, and having silly finals adventures with my friends, that had nothing to do with books and everything to do with being outside. But my love of lilacs goes farther back than that. My grandmother's house had lilac bushes on the side of it and as children my sister and I and two of our cousins made worlds in there. Usually they were households, which each of us having a separate section or imagining different rooms. I spent a lot of time in those branches. My parents, too, have lilacs in their backyard. My sister and I would play badminton (and still do) back there without a net and would be forever trapping the birdie in the lilacs, and did not always take the proper care with getting it down. Lilacs are bigger than Brooklyn in my eyes, but they never cease to make me happy.

5 comments:

bibliochef said...

i love lilacs

Lara said...

A lilac grove out here? Where? (I'm assuming you don't mean the bush at the entrance to King's Lane.) God, I must get out of my office more...

Anna Wager said...

If I'm recalling rightly, it's more by the bend in King's Lane? Visible from your office. Not a grove exactly, but at least 5 trees, and I definitely remember there being a few different purple varieties.

Of course, I could have been high from not sleeping and the joy of turning in finals, so maybe I hallucinated them.

TheCrankyProfessor said...

Lilacs smell wonderful - until I start sneezing. I didn't know how allergic I was to lilacs before I moved here.

Marth said...

I have always loved lilacs too. When I used to write poetry, I often tried to fit the words "lilac spring" somewhere into a poem. I think it meant the loveliest time of one's life -youth - full of yearning and eagerness about the future. And the transience that makes some times so precious.

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.