Thursday 17 December 2009

Guest Blog, or Why it is Nice to have Talented Friends

Thursday 17 December 2009

I was able to sucker one of my friends into writing a post for me, because 1. she is a very good writer, and enjoys it, 2. she and I are in similar situations, but in different spots, 3. she is going to be the next Sharon Creech, and 4. she has the best rom-com collection of anyone I know. Also, I didn't so much "sucker" her as "ask" her, and she said yes. Enjoy. I know I did.


--------

First of all, a big thanks to “Ahhna” for letting me guest blog. I am very honored. I did have a Live Journal in high school (which a friend is still trying to stalk out—I haven’t deleted it yet because I like to read it from time to time and lament over how ridiculously superficial I was), but have always been a fan of the world of blogging. Needless to say, I am loving this.


So, being a 22-year old female having just graduated from college last May, I have been thinking a lot about my future.


Turns out you can do that, when your current existence consists of retail, trashy TV and the occasional chip binge.


You see, the future to me was always this semi-tangible thing, looming somewhere out in the distance. In high school, and then in college—where I really started to become aware of these things—I would think about “the future” from time to time and then turn my thoughts to whatever trivial event was happening at the moment.


But the future is here. Now. I’m living it. And I can’t say that it has (so far at least) been what I expected.


The summer before my group of high school friends left for our respective colleges, we made a “life goals” list of sort. We predicted where each member of the group would be when we turned 30, and pledged not to remove the list from its home (with one of our most trustworthy friends) until then.


I can’t remember what the predictions for myself were exactly, but it definitely had something to do with marrying a rich Hobart boy and not having to work the rest of my life.


Which, you know. I could definitely handle.


As of now, however, that hasn’t happened. I’m not sure it will either, as my perceptions of all types of people have changed dramatically over the past five years.


Anyway. The high school friends I speak of are currently in all sorts of places. One is studying at Oxford, one won a $30,000 grant to travel the world and do research, one is working an AmeriCorps job near Seattle, and one is out in Los Angeles being brilliant….


And I am here. Living with my parents.


I try not to compare myself to others. I really do. I know it will only lead to a deep spiral of depression. But from time to time, when I’m dealing with a ridiculous customer, or seeing someone from my town that I really don’t want to be seeing, it happens.


Which is why, I’ve decided, that life would be so much better if there was a soundtrack to each of our lives. Awesome songs would play in the background during epic moments that we experience, like in the movies. Think about it. Wouldn’t that be the best?


Of course, I’d want to pick the songs myself. And the music gods would have to make sure that they were soft enough that you could hear whatever was actually happening to you.


So, as a way of entertaining myself (and you as well, hopefully), the following are my top ten song choices for possible future epic moments.


“We’re Dancing” by PYT. Right after I tell my evil boss off (in an extremely witty manner) and storm out of the store, with my fellow employees clapping and cheering.


“Inner Smile,” by Texas. I envision this song playing as I walk around the Thames in London. Part Bridget Jones/Bend it Like Beckham moment. Maybe I had just clinched something career-wise. Alternately, it could be playing during a moment of sports drama. (This is a slim chance, considering I no longer really play sports…at all.)


“All the Above” by Maino ft. T Pain. Because you have to have one rap-ish song in there somewhere.


“Alone” by Heart (although I really love the Glee version too). This would occur after a disappointing break up, where I realize the guy I thought I liked was a jerk, and then this other guy (!) swoops in and saves the day.


“Don’t Stop Believin’” by Journey. It would be great if this song could happen something like that “Say a Little Prayer” scene from My Best Friend’s Wedding, with everybody singing and totally in the moment. This actually DID happen at my cousin’s wedding, but I’d like to do it again.


“Everything” by Lifehouse HAS to play at some point. Preferably as I walk down the aisle at my wedding.


“Someone Like You” by Van Morrison is my go-to wedding song, though. We might have to squeeze in both.


“Black Balloon” by the Goo Goo Dolls. Not sure when this song would play, as I am not a heroin addict. However, as it is my favorite song, if it means taking up drugs in order for it to feature in my life, so be it.


“Only Hope” by Switchfoot. I could see this song playing as I’m sitting in a park or at a restaurant and a bunch of people are walking by. A good thinking/mulling over/gathering strength before the climax of the movie song.


“I Want it That Way” by the Backstreet Boys. I don’t care when or where it plays, as long as it plays. True friends of mine will attest to that fact.


As I’m reading this over I’m realizing that the list sort of transitioned from my life to complete fictional romantic-comedy movie. I can’t help it. If life was a movie, we’d all have neat and tidy endings, our problems would only span about two hours, and we’d at least know that my romantic prospects would be a main plotline. It would be quite epic.


On the other hand, when the movie is over in two hours, so are the characters. It’s kind of exciting to think about all the time I (and we) have for our lives to unfold. Kind of exciting that we aren’t allowed to see the plot synopsis of our lives before we’ve lived it.


And with that being said, I’m feeling like optimism is the only way to go from here.


Now, I will go eat more chips.

----------


And here is my question to all of you--what songs would you have on your life soundtrack?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.